Emergency Care Guidelines
An emergency is a medical problem that could cause death or permanent injury if not treated right away.
Emergencies include these types of injuries or symptoms:
- Head: Injuries resulting in loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, cuts over one inch in length, confusion/disorientation, vomiting and obvious injury
- Nervous System: Weakness or paralysis, loss of sensation, first seizure or prolonged seizure
- Eyes: Obvious injury or chemical in the eyes, loss of or sudden alteration in vision
- Nose: Severe or uncontrolled nosebleed, foreign object in the nose
- Throat: Difficulty breathing or swallowing, any bleeding
- Chest: Any chest pain or shortness of breath
- Abdomen: Severe pain, serious blunt injury or penetrating injury, rapid bleeding from the rectum
- Genital/Urinary: Severe, sudden or recent onset of belly or pelvis pain, vaginal bleeding during pregnancy
- Back: Difficulty in walking, severe pain or any injury
- Limbs/Skin: Injury resulting in deformity, deep or long cuts, facial cut, swollen joints with injury, severe burns or allergic reaction in the mouth or throat affecting breathing or swallowing
Why you should go to the Emergency Room when you have a medical emergency:
- A specialist may be available to help if you need specialized care.
- You will be treated right away.
- The Emergency Center staff specializes in treating these types of conditions.
Emergency Warning Signs for Children
Emergency warning signs for children are different than those for adults. See a physician immediately if these symptoms occur:
- Breathing trouble
- Severe or ongoing vomiting
- Bloody stools or diarrhea
- Bleeding that doesn't stop after five minutes of direct pressure
- Extreme sleepiness or fussiness, dizziness, confusion or other changes
- Chest or stomach pain or pressure
- A stiff neck with a fever or headache
- Fever above 102 degrees that does not respond to Tylenol®
- Seizure-type activity
Emergency Department Location
Mercy Hospital Grayling
1100 East Michigan Avenue
Grayling, MI 49738
View Larger Map